Research Meeting 22353
Interoperability for Cross-Domain Research: Machine-Actionability & Scalability
( Aug 28 – Sep 02, 2022 )
- Simon Cox (CSIRO - Clayton South, AU)
- Arofan Gregory (DDI Alliance / CODATA, US)
- Simon Hodson (CODATA - Paris, FR)
- Steven McEachern (Australian National University - Acton, AU)
- Hilde Orten (SIKT - Bergen, NO)
- Joachim Wackerow (Ludwigshafen, DE)
- Heike Clemens (for administrative matters)
A significant challenge facing the wide-scale implementation of the FAIR principles for data stewardship is the ready availability of metadata in a processable format, with sufficient context to support accurate and informed reuse and harmonisation of that data. This is an ambitious undertaking, and some parts of this challenge are more easily met than others. This workshop will use a set of use cases to inform how a framework of domain-agnostic standards and models can be usefully employed to permit the communication of the needed metadata, and how such metadata can be collected. Integral to this approach is the idea that both for collection and use, full advantage must be taken of the existing and emerging capabilities of artificial intelligence and machine-actionable metadata harvesting.
The focus of this workshop is three-fold:
- Identifying the set of data models and standards which can be shared across domains for purposes of supporting machine actionable use and AI methods.
- Exploring strategies for the practical harvesting and dissemination of the metadata, based on the identified standards and existing technology approaches.
- Defining the contextual "package" of information which is needed to accurately share, reuse, and harmonise data.
These areas are interconnected, reflecting exploratory work from earlier Dagstuhl workshops over the past several years, and discussions in other fora. The scope spans a variety of concerns in the data sharing space in order to explore a range of current and emerging topics.
The standards and models to be considered will include, but will not be limited to, many which were considered in the 2021 Dagstuhl session Interoperability for Cross-Domain Research: Use Cases for Metadata Standards, which covered the FDOF, DDI-CDI, Schema.org, DCAT, DataCube, SDMX, PROV-O, ODRL, and DPV. More recent work around observable properties, based on the I-ADOPT work in RDA, will also be addressed. Relevant cross-domain areas of practice such as DRUM (Digital Representation of Units of Measurement) will also be considered. The relationship of these standards to use-case-specific domain standards and vocabularies will be addressed, in order to explore how the interchangeable expression of metadata can be practically realised at scale.
Real-world use cases will be used to test the ideas put forward in the workshop and demonstrate their practicability.
The workshop will produce recommendations based on the proposed standards and models and on their application to the use cases considered. Proposed next steps for the use cases will be documented, to illustrate the basis on which the recommendations are formed. Any extensions or changes to the standards and models considered will be documented for communication to the relevant groups which maintain them. The intent of the workshop is to provide concrete input into the formulation of a core interoperability framework for FAIR data-sharing taking into account requirements emerging from user-driven communities, large scale infrastructures, and significant domain organisations.
- Research Meeting 07442: Further Development of the Data Documentation Initiative [DDI] XML Standard: Technical Implementation Committee Meeting (2007-10-28 - 2007-11-01) (Details)
- Research Meeting 08462: The Data Documentation Initiative [DDI] XML Standard: Working Meeting on Advanced Topics in Usability and Interoperability (2008-11-09 - 2008-11-14) (Details)
- Research Meeting 09452: The Data Documentation Initiative [DDI] XML Standard: Workshop on Implementation of DDI3 - Advanced Topics (2009-11-01 - 2009-11-06) (Details)
- Research Meeting 10422: The Data Documentation Initiative (DDI) Standard: Managing Metadata for Longitudinal Data — Best Practices (2010-10-17 - 2010-10-22) (Details)
- Research Meeting 11382: DDI: Managing Metadata for Longitudinal Data — Best Practices (2011-09-18 - 2011-09-23) (Details)
- Research Meeting 12432: DDI Lifecycle: Moving Forward (2012-10-21 - 2012-10-26) (Details)
- Research Meeting 13442: DDI Lifecycle: Moving Forward (Part 2) (2013-10-27 - 2013-11-01) (Details)
- Research Meeting 14432: DDI Lifecycle: Moving Forward (2014-10-19 - 2014-10-24) (Details)
- Research Meeting 15433: DDI Moving Forward: Facilitating Interoperability and Collaboration with Other Metadata Standards (2015-10-18 - 2015-10-23) (Details)
- Research Meeting 16423: DDI Moving Forward: Facilitating Interoperability and Collaboration with Other Metadata Standards (2016-10-16 - 2016-10-21) (Details)
- Research Meeting 17423: DDI Moving Forward: Production Framework and Bindings (2017-10-15 - 2017-10-20) (Details)
- Research Meeting 18403: Interoperability of Metadata Standards in Cross-Domain Science, Health, and Social Science Applications (2018-09-30 - 2018-10-05) (Details)
- Research Meeting 19413: Interoperability of Metadata Standards in Cross-Domain Science, Health, and Social Science Applications II (2019-10-06 - 2019-10-11) (Details)
- Research Meeting 21393: Interoperability for Cross-Domain Research: Use Cases for Metadata Standards (2021-09-26 - 2021-10-01) (Details)
- Research Meeting 23403: Defining a core metadata framework for cross-domain data sharing and reuse (2023-10-01 - 2023-10-06) (Details)
- Research Meeting 24423: Evaluating and Refining Cross-Domain Metadata Exchange Frameworks (2024-10-13 - 2024-10-18) (Details)