Summer schools, autumn schools, etc. are a well established way of introducing young researchers from a number of institutions to a new and hot research topic of interest. They are typically organized by a group of more established researchers. Schloss Dagstuhl can host such events at its facilities but it plays no role in the choice of topic, on the content or structure of the event, or in the selection of the participants. We do require that the events have a computer science theme and that they do not serve commercial purposes.
Any further questions?
Participation and Format
The group of participants will be determined by the organizers.
In general, about 30 or 45 people participate (including speakers and organizers), and the event lasts 3 to 5 days. In most cases, there are 30 people for 5 days.
The fee for participants depends on the length of the summer school. For details, please refer to our Expenses page.
If, in exceptional cases, an additional participation fee is charged by the organizers, we require a justification and a cost calculation.
An informal application to service(at)dagstuhl.de is sufficient providing:
- names of the organizers,
- title of the event (max. 80 characters),
- planned number of participants and duration,
- 2 to 3 paragraphs describing the topic, making the reference to computer science clear and which can be published on the webpage of the event, ideally already with the agreement of all authors of this description to publish it on the website under the CC-BY license "Creative Commons Attribution 4.0",
- how the group of participants is to be formed,
- which lecturers are tentatively scheduled.
Additional information on the organization (e.g. time schedule) can be attached.
Application Process and Schedule
Applications can be submitted at any time, but allow 6 to 18 months' notice. The application must be approved by the Scientific Director.
Approximately 2 to 3 dates per year are allocated with priority given to summer schools.