During the recent years, Quality of Experience (QoE) has established itself as a topic of its own for both industrial and academic research. With its focus on the user in terms of acceptability, delight and performance, it is about to take over the role of Quality of Service as key paradigm for provisioning and managing services and networks. As one of the follow-up activities of the Dagstuhl Seminar 09192 "From Quality of Service to Quality of Experience", this Dagstuhl Seminar 12181 focused on the relation between quality perception and QoE quantification, which is among the most challenging tasks for bringing together the three essential corner stones, i.e. user, technology, and business. In particular, qualitative user perception needs to be translated into quantitative input to dimensioning and control of networks and services. Further, different kinds of feedback flows (acceptance, usage, cost, quality) need to be taken into account. Considering the multidisciplinary nature of this problem with complementary and potentially controversial views, the proposed seminar will work towards metrics and measurement techniques aimed at improving QoE prediction and control. The outcomes are expected to become visible in the future QoE research agenda and corresponding standardisation efforts.
Dagstuhl seminars strongly depend on the delegates and their input. In order to give room for both presentations and group discussions during a three-day seminar, the presentations were confined to five minutes and one slide. Each presentation was followed by a short block of questions and answers. In order to truly reflect the delegate's positions with regards to the topic of the seminar, the abstracts have been included in the sequel as-is and in alphabetical order.
The presentation round was followed by the presentation of a QoE White Paper around a QoE definition that has emanated from the Dagstuhl Seminar 09192.
The related discussions of QoE-related definitions and notions were continued and deepened during the first group work entitled "Key aspects of experience perception and their subjective evaluation". The other two groups discussed "Measurable aspects of QoE" and "Identification of QoE-related feedback loops". The outcomes of the group works were presented and discussed in the plenum, and excerpts are presented in the report.
The seminar was concluded with a plenary discussion of follow-up activities.
- Patrik Arlos (Blekinge Institute of Technology - Karlskrona, SE) [dblp]
- Ake Arvidsson (Ericsson Research - Stockholm, SE)
- Sergio Beker (Huawei Technologies - Düsseldorf, DE) [dblp]
- Katrien De Moor (Ghent University, BE) [dblp]
- Marcus Eckert (TU Chemnitz, DE)
- Sebastian Egger-Lampl (FTW Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien GmbH, AT) [dblp]
- Markus Fiedler (Blekinge Institute of Technology - Karlskrona, SE) [dblp]
- Marie-Neige Garcia (TU Berlin, DE) [dblp]
- Riccardo Guerzoni (Huawei Technologies - Düsseldorf, DE)
- Dennis Guse (TU Berlin, DE)
- Richard John Harris (Massey University, NZ)
- Helmut Hlavacs (Universität Wien, AT) [dblp]
- Tobias Hoßfeld (Universität Würzburg, DE) [dblp]
- Selim Ickin (Blekinge Institute of Technology - Karlskrona, SE)
- Lucjan Janowski (AGH Univ. of Science & Technology - Krakow, PL) [dblp]
- Maria Kihl (Lund University, SE)
- Khalil Laghari (Télécom & Management SudParis - Evry, FR) [dblp]
- Patrick Le Callet (University of Nantes, FR)
- Sebastian Möller (TU Berlin, DE) [dblp]
- Alexander Raake (TU Berlin, DE) [dblp]
- Peter Reichl (FTW Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien GmbH, AT) [dblp]
- Gerardo Rubino (INRIA Rennes - Bretagne Atlantique, FR) [dblp]
- Junaid Shaikh (Blekinge Institute of Technology - Karlskrona, SE)
- Lea Skorin-Kapov (University of Zagreb, HR) [dblp]
- Martín Varela (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland - Oulu, FI) [dblp]
- Katarzyna Wac (University of Geneva, CH) [dblp]
- Ina Wechsung (TU Berlin, DE) [dblp]
- Dagstuhl Seminar 09192: From Quality of Service to Quality of Experience (2009-05-05 - 2009-05-08) (Details)
- Dagstuhl Seminar 15022: Quality of Experience: From Assessment to Application (2015-01-04 - 2015-01-07) (Details)
- Dagstuhl Perspectives Workshop 16472: QoE Vadis? (2016-11-20 - 2016-11-25) (Details)
- Dagstuhl Seminar 23042: Quality of Sustainable Experience (QoSE) (2023-01-22 - 2023-01-25) (Details)
- Quality of Experience
- network monitoring
- quality measurement
- service pricing