19. – 24. Juli 2009, Dagstuhl Seminar 09302
New Developments in the Visualization and Processing of Tensor Fields
Auskunft zu diesem Dagstuhl Seminar erteilt
This Dagstuhl Seminar was concerned with the visualization and processing of tensor fields, like its two predecessors: seminar 04172 organized by Hans Hagen and Joachim Weickert in April 2004, and the follow-up seminar 07022 in January 2007 with David Laidlaw and Joachim Weickert as organizers. Both earlier meetings were successful, resulting in well received books and riggering fruitful scientific interaction and exchange of experience across interdisciplinary boundaries. We believe that the 2009 seminar will prove to have been equally successful.
Our main goal was to bring together researchers from rather different fields, ranging from visualization and image processing to applications in structural mechanics, fluid dynamics, elastography, and numerical mathematics. The scientific output will be collected in a post-proceedings volume currently being produced.
The Dagstuhl survey results suggest a success. All respondents said they would come to another seminar. All of the content-related responses were higher than those for the comparison group of seminars. In fact, no responses were lower than the comparison-group mean.
This third-in-a-series seminar was a great success. The attendees report high marks, and the expected book is starting off with strong involvement from the authors. We have hopes of proposing another in this series with two new organizers and one continuing one. The field continues to expand and mature, and Dagstuhl seminars continue to help make that process a robust one.
Dagstuhl Seminar Series
- 16142: "Multidisciplinary Approaches to Multivalued Data: Modeling, Visualization, Analysis" (2016)
- 14082: "Visualization and Processing of Higher Order Descriptors for Multi-Valued Data" (2014)
- 11501: "Visualization and Processing of Tensors and Higher Order Descriptors for Multi-Valued Data" (2011)
- 07022: "Visualization and Processing of Tensor Fields" (2007)
- 04172: "Visualization and Image Processing of Tensor Fields" (2004)
- Computer Graphics / Computer Vision
- Image processing
- Tensor fields
- Diffusion tensor imaging (DT-MRI)
- Partial differential equations (PDEs)
- Tensor decomposition
- Feature extraction
- Fiber tracking
- Fluid dynamics
- Structural mechanics